Victorian Association of Jewish Ex & Servicemen & Women Australia Incorporated

Founding Member General Sir John Monash GCMG KCB VD

Join Pay Donate Search

A-Z Search form

(search all fields)
Advanced Search

Search Results

First names
Wilfred Norman
Service No.
Date of Death
Hebrew Date
10 Tishrei 5678
Hebrew Date
י׳ בְּתִשְׁרֵי תרע״ח
Age at Death
How Died
Died of Wounds
Where Died
Polygon Wood, Belgium
Lijssenhoek Military Cemetery, Belgium
Service Details
60th Australian Infantry Battalion, AIF
Western Front
Papuan civil servant
Age at Enlistment
Place of Enlistment
Melbourne, Victoria
Locality on Enlistment
Date of Enlistment
Date of Discharge
Country of Enlistment
Son of Albert BEAVER & Evelyn Phillis née BLOOMINGTON. Commissioned Officer, Armed Constabulary, Papua. 1st Anzac Corps Routine Orders No 88 by LTGEN Sir WR Birdswood KCB KCSI KCMG CIE DSO-The Army Corps Commander expressed appreciation of gallant services rendered during recent operations. Wilfred Beaver was born in St Kilda in 1882 Reg No 12552; he was the son of Albert and Evelyn Beaver London. Wilfred has been educated at Scotch Collage, Melbourne and Brussels Universities. Wilfred’s career had taken him to Papua where he became a civil servant. Wilfred enlisted on 27 December 1915, his attestation papers describe him as 5’ 11” tall weighing 164 lbs with a dark complexion, dark hair and Brown eyes. Wilfred listed his religion as Jewish. On 19 February 1916 Wilfred attended the Officers qualifying school at Duntroon and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant on the 1 March. On 5 July, he was appointed Assistant Adjutant of the 5/6 Depot Battalion. On 24 July, Wilfred was attached to the 4th Reinforcements of the 60th Battalion and one week later on 1 August, he embarked at Port Melbourne on the A67, HMAT “Orsova” for England. Disembarking in Plymouth on 14 September, Wilfred commenced two months of concentrated training before marching in to the reinforcement camp at Etaples on 11 November. He then joined his unit who were camped at Needle Trench near Mametz and was assigned to “D” company. On 16 March, Wilfred was promoted to Lieutenant, eight days later on 24 November; he was taken ill with Malaria and admitted to the casualty clearing station before being transferred to 8th General Hospital. On 29 March, he was evacuated back to England on the HS “Warilda”, being admitted to 3rd London General Hospital on the same day. Two weeks later, he was transferred to Cobham Hall to convalesce. On 28 June, he re-joined his unit at Rubempre near Amiens. A month later he was sent to the Anzac Corps Infantry School to undertake a four week training course. On 25 August, Wilfred rejoined his unit now located at Mailly- Maillet, a short while later the Battalion moved to Steenvorde in Belgium. On 17 September, Wilfred was granted five days leave in Paris. It was only a brief rest. Wilfred was now needed to lead his troops; the battalion was now committed to a major battle. On 24 September the Battalion marched out to the Hooge area. The next day “D” Company moved to Black Watch Corner. On 26 September, “D” Company advanced from Black Watch corner over open ground towards Polygon Wood. It was during this advance that Wilfred was to lose his life. It was while advancing with his company that he was shot in the abdomen. He was taken to 17th Casualty Clearing Station, his wounds were mortal and he died there on the same day. Wilfred was buried not far from Poperinge in the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, plot XXlll, row C, grave number 12. For his service during WWI, Wilfred was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. In 1922 the Memorial Scroll and Memorial Plaque were presented to his mother Mrs Evelyn Beaver.
Login / Logout